Friday 18 October 2013

I told two friends, and they told two friends, and so on.....

I know this is going to sounds silly, even before the words are typed, but I think about it so what better place to talk about it than here. The truth is we have insight into people through their actions, or lack of actions, including social media following, and interaction.

 I know it is not about the numbers, and who follows you or not. I know it should not matter if someone or a brand follows back, or interacts. I know that expecting a hello that is no way related to a promo, contest, or twitter party is probably unreasonable. Clearly brands have an agenda, as do the bloggers that generate income from blogging, and those tweeting hoping to win a prize. Common sense says when following so many people it is hard to connect with everyone regularly.
I know I know I know.....but you know what? It does matter to me.

I had a conversation with my husband a while back about interviewing potential employees. He had been told more than once he was excellent at interviewing. So I asked why do you think that is. His response was; when you genuinely take an interest in the person you are interviewing and you listen, you'll know the questions to ask, and they will share with you all you need to know. My response was "so you pretend to care", and he said "no, I actually care what they have to say". It seemed a bit forced to me, but after thinking about I realize it really is as simple as choosing to care. It is through taking a genuine interest that you listen and can then ask the questions that matter, then determining if this person will be a good fit. Clever man, I knew I married him for some reason. 

The point I am trying to make is by genuinely taking an interest in someone as a person not just as a means to an end, you get all the information you need, and generally a happy ending. I make it a point to try to share information, and to promote brands and bloggers I like. I really make an effort to read posts, and interact just to say hello, or "loved your post", not just enter the contests. I follow many not because I want to read tons of pitches and marketing blurbs all day long, I follow them despite that. I am sure that many follow me despite the volume of tweets (I tweet a lot, no question) and the multitude of subjects I tweet about. I appreciate when people, bloggers, and brands follow and interact with me on a personal level even if much of what I tweet does not fit their niche. It matters to me, and in turn I am very loyal to those who take the time. They are proof that it is possible for even very big and popular people, bloggers, and brands to follow and interact in a meaningful way. To those who do Thanks, and to those who don't you should.

I think we all want to be more than a number or sale or stat. I'm not a contester (but I do enter lots of contests) and participate and in twitter parties. I am not a brand ambassador but I do share and support brands. What I am is in a position to interact and promote the brands and bloggers that are genuine and I feel good about. If I reach out to someone to say hi, or answer a question asked I am in a position to maybe add value in some way. I am most definitely am in a position to make purchasing decisions about the majority of items bought for my family. 

OK so what? What does that mean and who cares? Well the thing is social media is a way to have two way interactions with brands, bloggers, and people in general. It is from these interactions that I form an impression. I make decisions about what I purchase based on these experiences and interactions. I decide who will get my valuable time from these impressions. Further more in my life outside of social media, I share the good and bad experiences and impressions with friends and family, and listen to the experiences they share. They too make decisions on the information shared. Then like Faberge Shampoo commercial from the 80's (dating myself here) "I told two friends ... and they told two friends, so on". So even just from a pure marketing and sales point it pays to take the time to say hello, and maybe get to know that person who tweets a lot about all sorts of things. 

I recently came across this post (Jan. 2014) I am adding this link because I think the principles speak to some of what I am trying to say. Four Dale Carnegie Principles Social Marketers Can Implement

Yep, just Cathy thinking out loud again.

8 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post and to comment. It is so appreciated.

      Delete
  2. What an excellent blog post, Cathy! Just loved this one. I feel the same as you in so many ways you mention here. I truly do care about my readers and followers. When someone takes time out of their day to read my blog, make a comment, share my stories with others, or just say hi, I feel it is important to acknowledge them and make sure they know I appreciate their support. You are one of my favourite followers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy thanks so much. I really do feel we get it. LOL I am tearing up as I read your comment, it is nice to think I actually have something to share. :-)

      Delete
  3. I agree with what you have written, I believe you get in life what you are willing to put into it. Your blogs just keep getting better and better.. Way to go my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the love. When are we starting the She Said She Said Blog?

      Delete
  4. I feel exactly the same way, I enter contests as well as just popping into blogs to say hello and it always makes me feel good knowing that people also enjoying reading my posts and not just trying to benefit from the giveaways. Take the time to interact with the bloggers as well as the fans, whether they are big names or not, it DOES make a difference in their day! I usually have a vibe from people and yours is a very sweet one, keep up the awesome work :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't follow everyone, I follow people who actually interact with me. I'm not into the numbers.

    ReplyDelete