Thursday 9 January 2014

MY WORD FOR 2014: LEARNING

Over the last week or so I have seen many posts, discussions and comments about what people's word or theme for the new year is. 
If I understand correctly it seems to be a combination of mantra, goals, hopes, and focus for the year all wrapped up in one word. 
LEARNING
Clearly many people have given this a great deal of thought. Having only recently been introduced to this concept I have not completely defined my goals for 2014, but I think the word learning really does sum up my goals and focus for this year. 

LEARNING: the activity or process of gaining knowledge or skill by studying, practicing, being taught, or experiencing something. (Merriam Webster Dictionary)

I believe that 2014 will be a year of learning:
  • Learning about myself, my strengths and areas I can improve on. Learning what I think my limits are and pushing myself to expand those limits, to see what I am truly capable of.
  • Learning not to be afraid, and learning to work through my fears, and use the fear to my advantage to reach my goals, rather than let it control me.
  • Learning about blogging, social media, and all the technology of blogging and social media. Come on people we are talking code to the technically challenged here! There is so very much for me to learn. I feel like I am in an apprenticeship program, and the world of Bloggers and social media are the Masters and teachers.
  • Learning about and improving my writing skills. I agonize over my writing; is it good enough, interesting enough, relevant, did I catch all the typos and grammar mistakes, did I source and site this properly. 
  • Learning about my friends, and their skills, and strengths, and the depth of their kindness, and ability to give, as well as their limitations since they are indeed human after all.

So in this new year of 2014 my word is LEARNING, because indeed this old dog can learn new tricks!

Wishing everyone a year of wonderful connections, growth, and learning!

Yep, just Cathy thinking out loud about 2014.  

3 comments :

  1. Great post Cathy :) I'll definitely be using some of your ideas to learn more myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way Cathy - it's crazy isn't it?!! I have learned so much in the past three months but there is still so much more to learn. My goal this year is to learn as well and grow . Looking forward to a great 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! So inspirational and motivational.
    Thank you for sharing!
    Wishing you all the best in 2014.

    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete