Wednesday 7 May 2014

How do I love thee? Love Letter to Mom Perfect #MothersDay #Gift

A Love Letter from my teenage boys thoughtfully articulating why they love me would be a cherished Mother's Day gift. 



One thing I've learned from CathyThinking Out Loud is that the process of writing posts helps me to clarify my feelings and organize my thoughts. This process starts with an idea and an outline for a post, which more times than not, leads to more thinking, and questioning. By the time I reach the end of the post, it often ends up taking a very different direction then I originally thought it would. For me writing requires that I give 100% of my focus and attention to that specific task. 

Getting teenage boys to share their feelings is not an easy task, but never being one to shy away from a challenge, I've decided to ask my two teenage boys to do just that. I'm asking them to focus 100% of their attention on the specific task of writing a two or three paragraph essay or letter, once a year, telling me why I am important, inspirational, or add value to their lives, including a few specific actions, activities, or memories that are meaningful to them.  

I thought writing a letter might be an easier way for them to express their feelings, and because it was a Mother's Day request, they might be more willing to do this for me. Hopefully through this my kids can better appreciate what I do for them, and at the same time, give me better understanding of their perspectives, and expectations. 


Having your kids acknowledged your value and contribution seems like a pretty great Mother's Day gift, and BONUS! because I have it in writing, I can reread them. when they are rude, or driving me crazy after a day of playing taxi, short order cook, and banking machine for them. Better yet, maybe that is a good time for them to reread their letters.


What about you? Would you consider asking for a Mother's Day letter instead of a gift?


Yep, just me Cathy thinking out loud about Mother's Day.

1 comment :

  1. I love this idea Cathy. You are so right.....it is really tough getting teen boys to express themselves......

    ReplyDelete