Tuesday 20 January 2015

Meet my new pal @myfitnesspal ... Makes me very APP-y! #FreeApp #FitnessTracker

With the new year and my 2015 word being: SELF my focus can't help but include goals to help with healthier lifestyle choices. This includes taking inventory of where I am, where I want to be and how I plan to get there.
In my head I like to believe I am active and my diet is reasonably healthy, and that I exercise more and eat less than I actually do. Simply by tracking both of these I can get an accurate picture of what I am eating and my activity level, and how I might adjust them to reach my goals. More importantly without knowing the reality rather than the guess-timates I will continue to sabotage my own efforts and success. And that my friends, does not make me feel good about mySELF.


At the beginning of this year I started to use a free App called myfitnesspal in combination with a Jawbone Up to track my meals, activity, and sleep patterns. Initially this process was an "exercise" in frustration trying to use the Up App to enter and track my meals and diet. In an effort not to give up before I even got started I found the My Fitness Pal App. 
I personally have no desire to publicly share my weight, the inches I have lost or selfies of myself working out. I do however like the idea of a community where I can find information, resources and support. My fitness Pal is more than an App, it is as much or as little as you want it to be. The App itself is easy to install, and easy to use. In fact much easier than using the Jawbone Up App on it's own, and it easily syncs to the Up App. Personally I give it a 4/5 stars. 

The My Fitness Pal App works with a variety of fitness trackers other than Jawbone Up, including Fitbit, Garmin Connect, and Misfit. 


In addition to the mobile App, there's an entire community available to you, including a blog called Hello Healthy with resources, recipes, links and support, facebook, and twitter to name a few. 

You can find the calorie counter My Fitness Pal App at:





Here's to a Healthy and APP-y 2015!

Yep, just me Cathy thinking out loud about my App-y SELF! 

Note: I was not compensated for this post. The purpose of this post is merely to share information I thought might be of interest to my readers.

2 comments :

  1. I also use MyFitnessPal and with the help of the app was able to drop 25 lbs in 4 months and whenever I feel like my pans are getting a little tights again I start tracking my food intake and pretty quickly I can get back into the comfortable pant range again. It is a tool that gave me back control and educated me about the costs of eating particular foods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only ever heard good things about this app! Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete