Wednesday 27 April 2016

Style, Speed & Sustainability! @FordCanada #FordFarmToCar I'm Impressed!

When I thought about Sustainability and Cars it was mostly limited to gas consumption, emissions and recycling, but not any more.



Certainly not after the #FordFarmToCar Sustainability Breakfast at the BConnected Conference. Not only was I pleasantly surprised to see Ford's innovative efforts to find, develop and use sustainable materials, but also by the unique way Ford decided to present this information to the attendees. We were treated to a delicious breakfast, with a menu created from food products Ford is currently using or testing for use in their vehicles, and a collection of #FordFarmToCar recipes bound in such a way that additional recipes can easily be added. 






I just kept thinking over and over again: I did not know that! 

I love Ford's commercials, and social media engagement. It's interactive, personal and positive. Anyone who reads my blog knows it's no secret that I believe a brand should be more than just about their bottom-line, at least if you want my business. That's why I was so surprised I didn't know more about the #FordFarmToCar initiatives. Even more surprising is this isn't new. 
Ford started using plastics made from soy as early as 1940!

Currently Ford uses soy for headrests and seat cushions, rice hulls to reinforce plastic materials, wheat straw reinforced plastic, coconut coir, and cellulose from sustainably grown and harvested trees and plants. On top of the biomaterials and food by-products being used, Ford is currently testing uses and ways to incorporate sugar cane, tomatoes, corn, bamboo and algae into their manufacturing and vehicle production. 

I respect the fact when Ford was asked tough questions in the Q & A portion of the presentation, they didn't shy away from tackling them head on, in terms of what they are doing, how they are doing and why they are doing it. This included questions around the issue of reallocating farming resources to grow for manufacturing rather than food. Efforts to develop innovative ways to fully utilize all parts of a plant and use food by-products such as tomato skins over reallocating farming for food resources to farming for manufacturing purposes really appeals to me. 

This type of approach to sustainability and an openness to discuss concerns, answer questions and encourage feedback has a direct impact on my purchasing decisions. I see it as a win win win. It's good for me, good for Ford and good sustainability practices. In my opinion we all, including brands, have responsibilities around our Earth, our carbon footprint and finding ways to reduce, reuse, recycle and rethink how we consume. Efforts to use, test and develop sustainable options for the vehicles they make is an example of how Ford takes responsibility. Well done Ford! 

For more information about Ford's approach to sustainability and its use and research into sustainable materials refer to Ford Motor Company - Sustainability Report2014/2015, which includes information on sustainable materials. And for some of that personal and positive engagement I spoke of follow Ford Canada and their social media team on twitter Ford Canada, FordCraigSilva , and Matt Drennan-Scace to name a few. 

Yep, just me Cathy thinking out loud about #FordFarmToCar Sustainability Breakfast.

Note: I was not compensated for this post. The purpose of this post is merely to share with my readers. All opinions are my own. 

1 comment :

  1. Wow! I didn't know any of this. Congratulations to Ford for their efforts to find, develop and use sustainable materials.

    ReplyDelete