Wednesday 4 May 2016

How do I love thee? A Love Letter to Mom for #MothersDay



Parenting can be tough ...

Two years ago I wrote this post, but it's just as true today as it was two years ago. The day to day trials of parenting two now young adult boys is challenging, at least in my experience. On the really bad days, when I question myself and my parenting skills being able to put out and read something that reminds me that my efforts do not go completely unnoticed is a gift. A Love Letter to Mom is what I really need more than flowers, chocolates, jewellery or brunch. 

The importance of articulation and communication ...

The act of my sons thoughtfully articulating why they love me is a gift I'll cherished more than any they can buy. In some ways it's a gift to them as well; as it makes them examine their feelings, and even if just a little, become more comfortable being open about and sharing those feelings. I know the ability to articulate and communicate their feelings will impact their happiness and every relationship they have in life. But maybe more important, learning to share their feeling and reach out when they're unhappy or in crisis may actually save their life. If I can help my kids do this, it's a gift. 

Post from May 7th, 2014:
"Getting teenage boys to share their feelings is no easy task, but never being one to shy away from a challenge, I've decided to ask my two teenage boys to do just that. I'm asking them to focus 100% of their attention on the specific task of writing a two or three paragraph essay or letter, once a year, telling me why I am important, inspirational, or add value to their lives, including a few specific actions, activities or memories over the last year that are meaningful to them."
Read more...

To the Moms out there Happy Mother's Day, to those missing their Moms on Mother's Day I hope you have some happy memories you can cherish and hold on to, and to those dreaming about being Moms may your dreams come true.

Yep, just me Cathy thinking out loud and again about Love Letters to Mom for Mother's Day.

No comments :

Post a Comment